Top 10 Luxury Mediterranean Yacht Charter Destinations
Top 10 Luxury Mediterranean Yacht Charter Destinations
The Mediterranean Sea is one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations with over 1/3 of the world’s tourists visiting the Mediterranean and the 23 countries it borders. A luxury Mediterranean yacht charter, no matter which country you visit the deep blue ocean and Mediterranean climate make the perfect yacht charter destination. With over 3,300 islands a length of 2,500 miles (4,000km) and an area of 965,000 square miles (2.5 million km), the Mediterranean is bordered by countries in southern Europe, North Africa, and Asia.
The countries which have a Mediterranean coastline has a predominate Mediterranean climate, with hot, humid, dry summers and mild rainy winters. The climate in the southeast Mediterranean (North Africa) has a hot desert climate, both ideal for a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
On a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter, all 23 countries are different, it is one of the most culturally diverse sea regions in the world, with a large number of different languages spoken, a variety of coastline landscapes, and diverse traditional cultures located throughout.
Sailing on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter has a country for everyone from beginner sailing areas to advanced long stretches of open ocean for professional sailors. The water temperature varies from 15c (winter) and 28c (summer), which make it an ideal sea for swimming, snorkeling, and discovering the underwater world, with a variety of marine life as well as the land which surrounds it, which is great for a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
Home to Europe's highest volcano along with beautiful wonders to discover on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter
Great Sailing Destination. Today, the cities are an exquisite beauty with Norman churches, Greek temples, and Baroque infrastructure forming it. The wonders don’t stop there, Sicily is also rich in natural resources – in fact, on this island, you will find Mt. Etna, Europe’s highest active volcano. There is indeed no other better way to explore Sicily than on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
Sicily Sailing. If Sicily’s classical heritage is not enough to captivate you, you might be enticed to know that this island is also an artistic architecture of its own. A short stroll around Palermo will allow you to see Arab domes and arches, Byzantine mosaics and Norman palace walls. To see Baroque architectural masterpieces, you only need to circle around southeast Sicily. Throughout the island, you’ll stumble upon vast evocative remnants of Arab and Norman castles. This is just one of the reasons why Sicily remains as one of the most captivating places in the world to go on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
Sardinia has beautiful white coloured beaches filled with traditional villages and harbors.
Sardinia. Sardinia is a beautiful Italian island and a large island in the Mediterranean. With over 1,100 miles of rugged Mediterranean coastline filled with traditional villages and charming harbours, it is an idyllic luxury Mediterranean yacht charter destination. Sardinia is the perfect place for sailors of all abilities on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
Sailing in Sardinia. There is no better way to discover the real Sardinia than sailing; the most beautiful beaches and bays of the Costa Smeralda wait for you to explore them. Either you prefer a flotilla or a bareboat charter, Sardinia is great for every type of luxury Mediterranean yacht charter, to discover the hidden beauties of the island.
Idyllic beaches, whitewashed buildings, and quaint fishing villages.
The Cyclades. The Cyclades are home to some of the most photographed and famous islands. The Cyclades are laid out in a circle, making it easy to go from one to another on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter. Made up of 2,200 individual islands, which only 25 islands are populated. Here you’ll find classic Greek culture, rich history, and gorgeous scenery. Whitewashed buildings are in abundance against the stunning deep blue sea and delicious Mediterranean food to try on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
Islands To Visit. The Cyclades are one of the best places to sail in on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter thanks to its variety of islands to explore and discover. The main islands in the collection worth visiting are:
- Paros (white sand beaches, ancient monuments, and small Greek villages)
- Sifnos (beachfront towns with cobbled streets)
- Folegandros (an adventure-lovers paradise with plenty of hikes and adventures)
- Santorini (the most famous island with whitewashed buildings and blue roofs)
- Amorgos (one of the most serene islands with antiquity and quiet towns)
- Kythnos (an island with beautiful flowers, blue waters, and the Katafiki Cave in Dryopida)
- Syros (small beautifully coloured buildings on a quiet island)
- Mykonos (the islands perfect whitewashed architecture, with the Old Port Harbour and Aghia Anna Bay beach)
- Kea (with a beautiful natural harbour, ancient ruins, quaint towns within a cosmopolitan feel)
- Sounion (home to the Temple of Poseidon – the Greek Goddess of Sea)
Other islands in the collection are Ios, Anafi, Andors, Antiparos, Delos, Milos, Naxos, and Thira among others to visit on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
4. Amalfi Coast
Beautifully coloured houses located within a UNESCO heritage site surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea.
The Amalfi Coast. The Amalfi Coast is a 50 kilometre stretch of southern Italy’s Mediterranean coast on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter. The area was given UNESCO heritage recognition thanks to its historic landmarks, beautiful houses and it’s place in history. The Amalfi Coast and its heritage status have attracted visitors from all over the world to its colourful houses, with the colours of majolica domes, bougainvillea, carnations pergolas, and whitewashed houses.
Picturesque Landscapes. The Amalfi Coast isn’t all about beautifully coloured houses and hilltops, it is also a great place to begin a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter with lots of surrounding places to discover;
- Salerno (a beautiful town with narrow streets and medieval churches)
- Sorrento (coves, cliffs, inlets, and spectacular views of the Bay of Naples)
- Procida (a small island with lemon groves and pastel-coloured houses)
- Ischia (a small island often referred to as the ‘island of eternal youth’ with mud baths and thermal mineral reserves)
- Capri (considered ‘one of the most beautiful places on earth’, with a rocky and rugged coastline, modern boutiques, and Blue Grotto Cave)
- Salerno (filled with historic sites and great food options)
- Naples (a picturesque town with museums, churches, and the birthplace of pizza and spaghetti, along with the Mount Vesuvius volcano)
- Positano (a fishing hamlet with colourful staircases and whitewashed houses)
- Pompeii (one of the most significant archaeological sites in the world, along with Roman towns, baths, and temples)
5. French Riviera
One of the most famous stretches of the Mediterranean coastline with world-class cuisine, high-end bars, and boutique shops.
Luxury Mediterranean Yacht Charter. The French Riviera is an area of coastline in the South of France that stretches 560 miles from the Italian border to Saint Tropez. The French Riviera is one of the world’s most luxurious sailing destinations perfect for a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter, filled with history, culture, colourful buildings, turquoise oceans, sandy beaches, and vibrant resort towns.
World Famous Locations. The French Riviera is also a great destination for a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter, with the unspoiled coastline, good anchorages many of which are considered romantic. The French Riviera is made up of national parks, the towns, and cities, Antibes, Cannes, Monaco, Marseille, St Tropez, and Île de Porquerolles in the Hyères collection of islands. All these locations are the perfect place for a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter, with beaches, islands, delicious restaurants, and picturesque locations.
Places to Visit. Monaco, Antibes, and Cannes are famous hubs for superyachts, with high-end 5-star marinas and world-class events such as the Cannes Film Festival and the Formula One Race to watch or experience on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
One of Europe's favorite yacht charter destinations for the last 5 years.
Croatia Sailing. Croatia has quickly become a go-to luxury Mediterranean yacht charter destination, with over 1,000 islands, a large coastline as well as natural wonders, historical sites, clear waters, perfect sunsets, and is filled with ample possibilities. Sailing in Croatia can take you to Mljet Island National Park to hike or bike, a 12th-century Benedictine monastery St Mary in Dubrovnik, Hvar’s stylish medieval architecture or Korcula’s incredible hospitality.
Luxury Mediterranean Yacht Charter. Croatia has something for everyone, with idyllic sailing conditions, warm waters and weather as well as islands and beaches to relax on. The major problem with visiting Croatia is deciding what itinerary you want to take on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
7. Balearic Islands
A great place to stop for calamari and a dip in Porto Katsiki.
The Balearic Islands. One of the best places for a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter is in the Balearic Islands, with the islands of Mallorca, Ibiza, Menorca, and Formentera. Each island has its own unique and wonderful sites to see and experiences to be had.
Mallorca. As the largest of the Balearic Islands, Mallorca is the perfect spot and is one of the best places to sail in the summer. Mallorca’s landscape is diverse and with over 340 miles of coastline, it features some of the most beautiful beaches and coves in the world.
Ibiza. Ibiza is another one of the best places to go on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter as it is an island with many personalities. It is one of the few places in the world where visitors’ can find top-notch nightclubs amidst extraordinary natural beauty, and deep-rooted local tradition, Ibiza should be on everyone’s radar. Appointed a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999, Ibiza Town Port, Dalt Vila, is a wonderfully preserved centre of Ibizan history and heritage.
Greece is the perfect sailing destination for all abilities.
Sailing in the Ionian. The Ionian is made up of a collection of seven islands, Kerkyra (Corfu), Paxos, Lefkada, Ithaca, Kefalonia, Zakynthos, and Cythera. These islands all offer great marinas to stay overnight, beautiful anchorages, and unique experiences to have. The Ionian is also boarded by mainland Greece which equally has some great small villages, traditional towns, and bays to discover on a great luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
Places to Visit in the Ionian. Some of the must-visit islands on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter, in the Ionian, are the following;
- Zakynthos Island – With the famous Navagio Beach (Shipwreck Beach) and Zakynthos Marine Park.
- Corfu – With Corfu Town, the Old Fortress, the New Fortress, and Angelokastro Castle to explore.
- Ithaca – Some must-visit places are Filiatro, Sarakiniko, and Agios Ioannis beaches, along with Alalcomenae Town.
- Kefalonia – Some great places to explore are Melissani Cave and De Bosset Bridge. Temple Cave (Fisxardo), and Blue Canyon Lake (Lassi) are great diving spots.
- Kythira – Some great places to explore are the medieval castle, Kapsali, Agia Pelagia, Avlemonas, and Diakofti.
- Lefkada – The waterfalls of Dimosari and the towns of Nidri Lefkada, Agios Nikitas Lefkada, Porto Katsiki, Kathismas, Egremni, Vassiliki, and Nydri.
One of the most picturesque islands on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
Malta. On a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter, you can discover an island off the coast of Sicily, in the Mediterranean, 80km (50miles) off the coast of southern Italy and 284km (176miles) off the coast of Tunisia. Malta is filled with history, culture, colourful buildings, turquoise oceans, sandy beaches, and vibrant resort towns. Malta and its surrounding islands of Gozo and Comino have been long forgotten as tourist or sailing destinations, with many sailors and visitors choosing other nearby popular areas instead. With coastal and port cities to explore, high-class hotels and restaurants as well as great beaches to be explored Malta has something for everyone on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
Great Sailing Destination. Malta is also a great destination for a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter, with the unspoiled coastline, good anchorages many of which are remote and secluded. Malta is made up of beautiful coastal towns, villages, some of the best beaches in the world, coves, turquoise waters, and historic cities. All these locations are the perfect stop on sailing the Mediterranean getaway, with beaches, islands, delicious restaurants, and picturesque locations.
Beautiful islands many of which are uninhabited.
Greece’s Dodecanese Islands. The Dodecanese islands consist of 15 larger islands and over 150 smaller islands, located in the Southeastern Aegean Sea. Within this collection of islands, only 26 are inhabited. The Dodecanese islands cover an area of 1,048 square miles. These islands are often referred to as the ‘sunniest corner of Greece’, thanks to their crystal clear turquoise waters, sandy and stony beaches, stunning archaeological landmarks and traditional settlements. There are also unique Byzantine and medieval monuments which cover a large number of the islands to visit on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter.
Islands in the Dodecanese. The Dodecanese islands are a great way to discover different islands, some islands not to miss on a luxury Mediterranean yacht charter;
- Rhodes – Is often referred to as a treasure in the Mediterranean with its beaches, valleys, history, thriving nightlife, along with the contrast of the ‘Old City’ and the new modern cosmopolitan city.
- Ano Symi – The island has a small number of bars and taverns which serve traditional food and wine within a cosmopolitan atmosphere with music, dancing and arts.
- Nisiros Island
- Kos – The island is full of white sandy beaches, turquoise water, lush vegetation as well as ancient Mediterranean monuments.
- Livadia – Livadia is located on the 300 people inhabited island of Tilos and the island’s main income is received from agriculture and tourism.