British Virgin Islands Sailing Courses
British Virgin Islands Sailing Courses
Ever dreamt of going on a magical sailing holiday, but realised you don’t have the right sailing qualifications? We confidently recommend our British Virgin Islands Sailing Courses, for those making their first steps in the sailing world, looking to get qualified whilst enjoying the famous “Painkiller cocktail” at the Soggy Dollar bar.
You will find courses for all levels, with live-aboard and shore-based classes, very flexible dates, and competitive prices. Our British Virgin Islands Sailing Courses can be customised to match any group; whether you are a solo traveler, couple or family, we have just the trip for you.
Our Guide to the British Virgin Islands
The British Virgin islands consist of more than 50 idyllic locations and anchorages. Tortola, the largest island, invites you to explore their white-sand pristine beaches, underwater caverns and reefs, rum distilleries and famous beach bars. Sailing, swimming, diving and surfing are only some of the activities that you can enjoy at the BVI, whilst soaking up the warm Caribbean sun.
During our British Virgin Islands Sailing Courses, you will also get to visit the famous Soggy Dollar bar , or even meet Foxy himself, on Jost Van Dyke, and snorkel around The Baths at Virgin Gorda.
When flying to the BVI you have several options; The most convenient airports for international flights are “Saint Thomas Airport” (STT), and the “Terrance B. Lettsome International Airport” on Beef island. If you decide to fly into St. Thomas you can then jump on one of the many ferries to Tortola. Should your flights not match the ferries’ timetable, you can always catch a water taxi to the BVI.
With the temperature ranging between 25°C (77°F) to 29°C (84°F), and sunny weather forecasts almost everyday, the BVI really are an ideal holiday destination all year round.
Get Qualified And Start Exploring
Basic British Virgin Islands Sailing Courses
- ASA 101 Basic Keelboat Sailing A 2 day course to start your professional introduction into sailing.
- ASA 103 Basic Coastal Cruising A 3 day course designed to build upon your knowledge from the ASA 101.
- ASA 104 Bareboat Cruising This is the intermediate live-aboard 3 day course that gives you the confidence and knowledge to safely skipper a vessel up to 45 feet in length in moderate weather conditions.
- ASA 105 Coastal Navigation A classroom 4 day course, which builds your navigation knowledge for coastal and inland waters, affected by tidal currents.
- ASA 106 Advanced Coastal Cruising A 7 day course, for our more experienced sailors, who have completed all other courses, and want to gain more miles and confidence.
It is no secret that more than half of our students choose to combine 2 or more of our British Virgin Islands Sailing Courses, so if you have the extra time and enthusiasm, why limit yourself to just one?
- ASA 101 + ASA 103 This relatively easy and fun 5 day combination course, is designed to help those completely new to sailing gain the confidence and knowledge to safely skipper a vessel up to 35 feet in length in moderate weather conditions.
- ASA 101 + ASA 103 + ASA 104 Combine these 3 courses for an 8 day live-aboard BVI adventure, which will take you from beginner level to qualified for a bareboat charter of yachts up to 45 feet in length in moderate weather conditions.
British Virgin Islands
Fast-Track Sailing Courses
The Zero to Hero British Virgin Islands Sailing Courses, offer a reliable, fast-track route to becoming a qualified bareboat skipper and be able to take your friends and family on their dream sailing holiday, or even pursue a yachting career; and all that under the warm Caribbean sun.
- ASA Catamaran FastTrack (ASA 103, 104 & 114) A 7 day intermediate course, if your goal is to charter a catamaran in exotic locations, without having to hire a professional skipper.
- IYT FastTrack International Bareboat Skipper Completing this 12 day course will result in an internationally recognized IYT certification to skipper a keelboat or catamaran (if training is done on such) up to 78 feet in length. Please note, that no prior experience is required to complete this course.
Skippered Sail and Learn Vacation
Based on your requests, we have also noticed that some of our SailCheckers are very eager to learn but don’t think they are ready to pursue an official qualification yet. Don’t worry, we have something fantastic in mind for you as well.
What we are proposing is a skippered yacht charter (on a yacht of your choice), where your professional skipper can work with you on teaching you how to sail, and it can be a vacation at the same time; working to your timetable to do as much or as little as you want. After this informal week’s training, who ever from the crew wants to pursue an official sailing qualification, would be far better prepared to take one of our British Virgin Islands Sailing Courses.